Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Friend Zone.

The world has developed many ways of "living." There are rules to how to properly approach people, and words you cannot say openly. There are stages to take to "date" someone and any impressions available to make. According to this world, you have to take certain steps to get what you want. But in my honest opinion, these steps lead you straight into a game. A game in which you highly risk failing and pain is but a step, not a lesson. Just get past it and then carry on and repeat. And then there is a zone many are afraid to enter when acting too "casual" and not becoming the right bait. It's called the "Friend Zone."

I am not afraid of the Friend Zone. I've occupied that zone for 5 years, and was aware of it for 4 of those years. Today I can finally see what it saved me from and what it taught me. I learned to be myself, with no need to impress. I'll gladly enter a friend zone for the sake of getting to know a human being for who they are, not who I want them to be. They who are afraid of this friend zone risk the lack to be themselves. They try hard to impress, and not act too comfortable lest they fall into such a zone.

I think this Friend Zone is a zone we fail to enter out of fear when really it'll produce foundation. If you cannot be a friend, you cannot be anything more. Friendship is a genuine bond, in which you should be yourself and become comfortable. An awkward moment on a date with someone who wants to pursue a relationship granted the date goes well could lead you toward a broken relationship because a friendship could not form.

What is to be will be, I'd say. You find what you need through friendships and discover what you do not need as well. You cannot force anyone to desire you nor love you. The only move you can ever make is a change within yourself. Face your fears and do not run from the "Friend Zone." Just continue to live your life with reason to be happy nonetheless. Sure, there may be that moment of loneliness, but stand tall and walk on. A companion is sure to come when you need one most.

If you can pass the Friend Zone, you've the patience to love someone for who they are without any expectations. This isn't a rule that must be followed. This is merely a life that lets you be yourself and find people who will take the time to care for you, despite having a "title" to your relationship. Embrace that.

I am not afraid of the Friend Zone. I occupied it for 5 years to learn exactly what I needed to learn to become a better, stronger, and wiser person. And here I am, aware of who I am and what I do not need. :)

No comments: